How to advertise a website

How do you get new visiters?

Page 1 of 1  1
June 13, 2012 2:44pm
Recently I've been working on a website with one of my friends where we post reviews, small descriptions, and links to related sources of information of video games and websites. Though when I was comming up with ideas for it I realised that the biggest problem that it will face is advertising.

I can't really think of a good way to get it known. Once it is mostly put together I need to find ways to get people to find out about it. So what do you suggest are the best ways to get your site known?
My Sonic Screwdriver
June 13, 2012 5:23pm
Man this is something I'm still trying to figure out myself, but I can offer some tips I do know.

A lot of how your advertising strategy should work I think should be based on what kind of visitors you're looking for. If your site is a community site, for example, you would want people who eventually become active community members somewhere down the line to visit your site and thus you'll more likely want to try to advertise (not obnoxiously though) to community sites with similar interests, your friends, etc.

If your site is focuses on information and providing content, writing and creating good and unique content that people might search for will increase your chances that your site will end up ranking high on search engines like Google, and for sites focused on written content and the like, search engines usually are a major if not the biggest traffic source. Another thing you can do if you write useful articles and stuff is to find people who might be interested in what you offer. For example, if I had written a guide on advertising websites, I could have linked that guide to you in this very post! When your site promises a solution to someone's problem, then that person will be much more likely to visit your site than if you randomly tried to bug them into visiting. And if you advertise that way, people might even thank you for showing them your site instead of being annoyed by it.

But yeah, that's my little bit of advice. I hope it helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your site, dude! Getting out there can definitely be very hard. -nods-
  Page 1 of 1  1