Why I prefer Ruby/Sapphire to Emerald

Page 1 of 1  1
October 28, 2016 10:45am
I think one reason I always had trouble accepting Wallace as a champion was because of the three type-themed champions, he is the only one with an actual monotype team. Half of Steven's team aren't even steel; they're rocks he collected. Lance doesn't use all dragon types, his team is just dragon-themed. All of Wallace's Pokemon are water-type, and that is pathetic for a champion
You do seem to know what is needed. Yes, what a Trainer needs is a virtuous heart. Pokémon touch the good hearts of Trainers and learn good from wrong. They touch the good hearts of Trainers and grow strong... Go onwards! The Champion is waiting!
- Drake of the Hoenn Elite Four

CaRSP aRiEWoVLotE
October 28, 2016 12:29pm
To be fair, he does manage to get decent coverage with his Pokemon's movesets, and he can counter grass and electric types reasonably well for a monotype team. But yeah, I agree with you that he sucks as far as champions go.

I liked Juan a lot more as the Sootopolis gym leader too. Why did we even need Wallace in the game at all? Give Juan the gym, make Steven the champion, and cut Wallace out altogether.
October 28, 2016 4:01pm
So what you're saying is, Emerald had too much water?

//shot
"Roots starve in gravel, but the dust staves your hunger;
it works its way under your nails and laces itself in your bones.
the stars that watch over you now are strangers - but with time you'll know them, and they you, and
they'll take the compass in your breast pocket
and point it home." - Twiggy, Secret Series
October 29, 2016 12:51am
I've always had a bias for Ruby since it was my first one. Furthermore, I don't really like Kyogre and Emerald giving you Rayquaza first made it much easier.
October 29, 2016 7:20pm
Hm, I felt Wallace had a certain mystical feeling that worked well with the Cave of Origin, so he seemed like very much a part of Sootopolis. Though Juan had a neat design.

I don't like how Emerald gave early access to Rayquaza because the Sky Pillar was one of my favorite post-E4 training spots in Sapphire. Though I haven't used it much in AS
You do seem to know what is needed. Yes, what a Trainer needs is a virtuous heart. Pokémon touch the good hearts of Trainers and learn good from wrong. They touch the good hearts of Trainers and grow strong... Go onwards! The Champion is waiting!
- Drake of the Hoenn Elite Four

CaRSP aRiEWoVLotE
December 3, 2022 12:12am
I'm now six years the wiser since this thread started, here are my thoughts.

Emerald had battle animations, so there's that. The other nice additions like the Battle Frontier and the more fleshed out story with Rayquaza's role in the regional lore and both Team Aqua and Magma being bad guys and trying to realize their own designs is why I think it's the one I most frequently choose to replay nowadays from Gen 3.

However - I do agree about Wallace. I get the feeling he was promoted to be a Champion because it was easy for the game designers, and not because it particularly makes sense. Also, even though he's a kind of mystical head of Sootopolis like you say, Steven was always a better fit for this in my opinion because he's a really tough trainer and the Champion of Hoenn who's also very wealthy so he spends his time being the good guy going around and fixing big problems that affect the whole region. This is also a nice contrast to ?????? from G/S/C, who is a bad guy for most of the game, but collaterally cleans up most of Team Rocket because they get on his nerves. Therefore Steven makes a lot of sense to me, Wallace feels a bit of an afterthought.

A lot of this opinion might be because I played Ruby first, though :)
Keep the Johto strong.

Page 1 of 1  1