Forum Revival Project

Page 4 of 4  1 2 3 4
November 19, 2016 1:39pm
That's true, Groups have a lot of untapped potential. Though I still don't want to throw away the Forums
I'd prefer Group discussions were more like Forums than comments, though it's probably too late for that
You do seem to know what is needed. Yes, what a Trainer needs is a virtuous heart. Pokémon touch the good hearts of Trainers and learn good from wrong. They touch the good hearts of Trainers and grow strong... Go onwards! The Champion is waiting!
- Drake of the Hoenn Elite Four

CaRSP aRiEWoVLotE
November 19, 2016 3:01pm
Do you mean a singular, linear thread where as right now they break into multiple threads?

It's not really too late to change them, though they are certainly built in the comment system.
November 19, 2016 3:29pm
Ehhh, I mean the whole nine yards. Linearity, post count tracking, signatures, editing, thread moveablity, searchability, the layout/style, etc. The one thing I like that group discussions have and forums don't are the list of people who posted in a thread.

And then, Group discussions are inherently limited to group members, while anyone can access the Forums. That part is intrjnsic to the purpose of Groups, and I wouldn't want it changed.

I know this is basically asking for the moon, so it's much more reasonable for me to use the Forums, really. I'm also attached to the old content on here, too.
You do seem to know what is needed. Yes, what a Trainer needs is a virtuous heart. Pokémon touch the good hearts of Trainers and learn good from wrong. They touch the good hearts of Trainers and grow strong... Go onwards! The Champion is waiting!

CaRSP aRiEWoVLotE
November 20, 2016 1:12pm
Sorry I haven't read the previous posts on this thread so I'm not sure what the goings on have gotten to, but I totally agree with the topic. I'm only just getting into the forums here, but it feels kinda like just a small corner of the site.

I'm a part of another forum called Hyun's Dojo, which I think has been doing a pretty good job keeping the forums relevant even though it has a really similar site layout to the route.
I'm not sure all the reasons for this, but there are a few things I can pick out:
-The dojo excels at hosting events and competitions from which communication and news is directly linked to the forums. This ranges from Dueling (a battle network where the animators and artists of the site compete with their character and earn points) to challenges that stay up indefinitely for anyone to complete in the future and win a badge or something.
Another huge part of this is that they have an advertisement on your stream page for major challenges or community events.
ANOTHER another huge part is the dojo allows members to host their own collaborations. Whether its a comic strip in which you reserve a page to make and add to the story, or an animation collab that involves you making a character move from one side of the screen to another as creatively as possible, it can become a huge part of the community of the site and involves everyone in the fun!
-Tutorials/help/QnA forum that is BEAST! The mods and many of the memebers frequently visit the forum to answer any questions about programs, the site, tech, art, etc.
Also a suggestion section for the site would be nice
-Less/lower community forums. I know it might seem odd to reduce the number of community forums but people will get more excited about the site and relevant info then they will about the discussion boards or pokemon (not that those shouldn't be there or isn't interesting, but that kind of stuff can be found outside of route50 just as easily on sites like Twitter, whereas site specific info can't)
-Dojo partnership. If you're really helpful very often/ produce great art regularly you get more priviledges.
Most of all though:
-Universe. The dojo has invented its own universe and lore which the duelists develop and the members are a part of. When a forum site is a self expression opportunity, that's great, but the Dojo puts you in a world where you can express yourself through your own characters that you invent and develop its story with others, while also providing the opportunity to change the lore of the world (this can only be done in the dojo if you win duels against other members)
It's not just a huge roleplay, but it generates a great sense of community =)

Anyway, these are just my suggestions and I hope they help ^-^ I love the community here and I wish it were more active
November 20, 2016 1:38pm
I would definitely like to play around with which discussion boards we have. Some of the boards you suggest (namely, the help forum), we do have, so accessibility might be the issue here.

When you say to reduce the number of "Community" boards, you mean "Discussion" boards, right? Our "Community" boards are really the "Community and Creativity" boards.

CaRSP aRiEWoVLotE
November 20, 2016 2:35pm
http://www.hyunsdojo.com/community/
From what I've seen in the Dojo and if you would choose to model this forum after it (which, granted, these are different sites with different interests and everything might not transfer well) you would put everything under the discussion and pokemon tabs in one board called general discussion, or have one board called discussion and one called pokemon, and put them under a community tab; that tab would also include community collaborations and the marketplace board because they're all things that the community is providing to the community, as opposed to the the site providing to the community.
The community and creativity tab looks pretty similar to the dojo's "showoff" tab other then the marketplace.

The location of all of these reflects the priorities of the Dojo to every newcomer, which is why the site info and help sections are higher then the 'site to community' sections (official events and such) which are higher then the 'community to community' sections, which are higher then the 'community showoff' and resources sections, which are at the bottom because they would only be relevant to people who are already a big part of the community.

July 27, 2017 12:45am
I'm not that creative when it comes to organizing the forums, but is there a way that we can spread word that route still exists

i think inactivity and the small amount of new members we have is affecting what we can really do to revive the site

(major necro lol crackers)

August 8, 2017 4:32pm
i think we used to have route 50 links under a few websites' affiliates tabs, but besides that i think word of mouth (text?) might be the best way to spread the word that we're still here. :V

August 8, 2017 7:28pm
yeah but

i barely see anyone except the lil yung'ns go on any type of pokemon forums as of right now

forums in general to me seemed to have died out

maybe if route had a different theme it'd work out but ehhh i dont think that'll happen

August 9, 2017 5:48am
Quote (Chookie)
maybe if route had a different theme it'd work out but ehhh i dont think that'll happen

Yeah, I'm not really sure how another theme would help lol. Well, except mobile support.

I've never been a large fan of forums myself, they're hard to keep up with etc etc.

There are still some really popular forums, but more real-time conversation and stream-like conversation seems to have taken point.
August 9, 2017 9:24am
The forums likely won't see much use for general discussion in the future, yeah. Future usage will likely be just roleplays (which I really need to post in soon) and stories for the most part. Hence, the expansion of RP boards and the combining of the various Pokemon discussion boards.

These days, I don't like cluttering my gallery up with so many chapters, so I post my stories chapter-by-chapter in the forums, and then the full stories go into the Galleries. That's more of a personal preference, of course.

So probably just roleplays and stories. And maybe site announcements.

CaRSP aRiEWoVLotE

August 9, 2017 1:16pm
so are we aiming to edit the streams to the functions of the old forums??? or something

and tbh i see forums like deviantart's thrive more because dA has a larger audience because in general it's for all kinds of art AND literature

idk

August 9, 2017 5:47pm
When I mentioned roleplays and stories, I was referring to the few things we actually use the Forum for rather than what the Forums could be.

Much as deviantArt tries to accommodate writers, I strongly dislike using deviantArt for writing. My reasons for disliking are more or less the same reasons I don't post chapter-by-chapter in the Route 50 galleries these days.

Our forums may be mostly dead, but they have their niches, and that's fine for now. As far as drawing attention back to the forums goes, I'm giving it a rest for now.

CaRSP aRiEWoVLotE
  Page 4 of 4  1 2 3 4