Ozzy the Lurcher

Our New Furbabe!

Page 1 of 1  1
May 25, 2019 1:47am
Day 1 - 09:13

We're picking up our new boy today! He's a Lurcher called Ozzy; we met him at Battersea Dog & Cat Rescue in London yesterday and absolutely fell in love! So we're going back today with our current dog, Percy, to let them meet and to take Ozzy home with us.

I want this thread to be a little progress report for Ozzy. My fiancé is planning to post a lot of pictures of him on Instagram and I'll definitely share as many as I can here too! If you want to ask any questions about Ozzy or want more pictures of him and Percy please feel free to ask!

Some information about Ozzy off the top of my head:
Breed: Lurcher, Greyhound Cross. We're not really sure what he's crossed with, but he has slightly longer fur than a purebred greyhound, and is a little shorter to the shoulder than your typical greyhound.
Age: 1 year 2 months! He's about a month younger than Percy. We don't know his exact birthday so we're going to celebrate his "Gotcha!" Day instead. :)
Fur: Tricolour. He's mostly brown on the top and white on the bottom with some black spotted around. He has some very charming white gloves and socks.

We don't know much about his history since he was passed to Battersea from another shelter who picked him up as a stray. We think he was someone's pet before though since he's absolutely fine on leash and with screens etc. He's been really struggling in kennels so we're super excited to give him a loving home and I'm personally looking so much forward to seeing him come out of his shell with us!!

Incidentally, if you're in the UK and looking to adopt, I can 100% recommend Battersea. They're genuinely helpful and understanding, and their matchmaking system is superb.
I just need to double check Robin's Instagram handle so you can follow him for regular Ozzypics, and I'll post some of my favourites here as and when. I hope you love him as much as us!!
It's times like this, when things are tough, that you have to be strong. Think for yourself and do as you deem right. - Grovyle
Friendship - All lives touch other lives to create something anew and alive. - Unown
May 25, 2019 1:47pm
Day 1 - 21:42

Introductions with Ozzy and Percy went perfectly both at the shelter and at home! Ozzy is a little nervous of loud noises like trains but rides public transport really well. Unexpectedly, his presence immediately calmed Percy down too, and for the first time on a train Percy didn't cry and even started going to sleep!

Ozzy isn't yet housetrained so despite taking him out every hour on the hour he still had an accident and Percy took it as territory marking so... it's been a long evening of cleaning lmao

Percy is struggling to reconcile the fact that he's not an only child anymore and it's noticeable, but every hour they get better with being in each other's living space and we have high hopes for tomorrow. :)
It's times like this, when things are tough, that you have to be strong. Think for yourself and do as you deem right. - Grovyle
Friendship - All lives touch other lives to create something anew and alive. - Unown
May 26, 2019 2:13pm
Day 2 - 22:06

Today Robin was out of the house for most of the day so it was down to me to help Ozzy settle in proper and I must say he made amazing strides.

He's responding really well to housetraining even after just one day so we have high hopes in that regard.

Percy also stopped giving Ozzy as much of a cold shoulder over the course of the day and they went from refusing to be on the sofa at the same time, to both being on opposite sides of the sofa to cuddling. They're also playing a lot better outside.

Ozzy is proving to be a bright spark for obedience training and is learning from example via Percy very quickly. He can be a little stuborn though.

That's all for today!
May 27, 2019 11:45am
Day 3 - 19:40

Great strides today! We invited a friend around to meet Ozzy and see how he is with strangers. He was absolutely fine and was happy to calmly say hello.
The only issue came when he got a little overstimulated and started playing too rough with his toys and Percy. That, however, was easily redirected and now we know his limits on how much stimulation is too much in terms of affection and play.

We took him for a walk in the big field nearby where we live. Unfortunately he pulled his leash away when Percy was let off-lead and tried to play with him, so both dogs are probably going to have to stay on-lead until Ozzy's recall is mastered.

Ozzy is doing great with training today as well. He's responding consistently to his name now, and is coming some times when called. He's also learning kitchen boundaries (we don't allow our dogs in the kitchen) and even though he's still testing those boundaries he's generally content keeping a polite distance and watching from outside the room.
May 27, 2019 11:47am

June 10, 2019 3:02am
Day 16 - 10:54

So it's been about 2 weeks now and I have some nice pupdates and photos. :)
First off, we changed Ozzy's name to Morgan. "Ozzy" was causing too much confusion as it sounds so similar to Percy's name, and Morgan is definitely responding better to his new name too!

Morgan is responding very well to training. We're having some issues with him being an absolute vulture while we're eating, but I think the novelty of us having food he can't eat is wearing off very quickly all things considered. Another issue we're having is him yeeting himself over the baby gate we have installed between the living room and hallway. He only does this when he's very excited, mostly when we have guests and he doesn't want to wait to greet them in the living room (or we've ordered take-away and he smells food, bit of column a, bit of column b). Again, this is something we can work on with training. Worst comes to it we just get a taller baby gate.

Morgan has a new harness! We got a front-clipping one from Ruffwear (which I can absolutely recommend, DEFINITELY worth splashing out a bit more for a durable dog harness that doesn't encourage pulling). He walks very nicely on leash with the harness and pretty much any pulling habits he had with collar are gone.

Percy has gotten over his only child woes and these two are inseparable now! Percy has stopped sleeping in the bedroom with us and instead sleeps in the living room to cuddle with Morgan. :') He still thinks commands meant for Morgan are for him though.

Enjoy some photos!

June 10, 2019 3:06am

And one of Percy so he's not being left out:

Page 1 of 1  1