Pokemon Unite

What do you think of the Pokemon... MOBA?!

Page 1 of 1  1
June 24, 2020 6:41am
During this morning's Pokemon Presents, The Pokemon Company unveiled Pokemon Unite, a free-to-start 5v5 MOBA for Switch and mobile devices. The objective of the game entails catching computer-controlled Pokemon around a small arena, and going to your opponents' side of the arena to score your caught Pokemon for points. Based on trailers, there's a roster of 10 Pokemon that start at level 1, but level up as the game goes on, evolving along the way and letting you choose a path of several moves to build with, including a unique "Unite Move."

What are your thoughts on Pokemon unveiling Unite in the time and fashion that it did? Personally, I think it's a win-win for The Pokemon Company. As detailed by this Tweet by e-sports team Panda Global's CEO, if a consistent player base emerges for Unite, The Pokemon Company will get insane amounts of profit. Conversely, if it doesn't, not only is The Pokemon Company one of the most profitable companies on the planet, but they're backed by Tencent, which is basically Jeff Bezos as a Chinese tech company.

I always try to give Pokemon mobile games a fair chance when they get announced and released, and I'm not stopping now. What about you guys?
June 24, 2020 6:47am
No matter what got announced I feel like people would've been upset. With people calling for Let's Go Johto and Sinnoh Remakes at least someone would have been disappointed.

This is honestly in line with what I was expecting: A Pokemon Spinoff made by a different company. Granted I was expecting Warriors, Conquest 2, or a new PMD, but I'm honestly pleased with the results. It looks like a fun twist on the MOBA Genre, it has games that will last a set length of time. As long as the online play is good it'll be a nice game.

Catch is will that online be good?
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best." - Karen, Johto Elite Four.

Chaos by Coolio
June 24, 2020 7:00am
Quote (Luce)
No matter what got announced I feel like people would've been upset.
Oh, absolutely. People are always going to find a reason to be mad at these presentations. I think the main thing was that this presentation was completely separate from last week's, so they were expecting something major from a fan perspective. It was a major announcement, just not in the way that they expected. I think the only reason that this announcement was separate from the rest of last week's presentation was because of The Pokemon Company's contract with Tencent.

Quote (Luce)
it has games that will last a set length of time.
I never really thought about that, but that is a very welcome addition in my book. Knowing exactly how long a match will take is actually great, because since this is a mobile game, people will think "oh, I have enough time to kill, I can squeeze in a game of Unite" as compared to the uncertainty in playtimes of other MOBAs.

Quote (Luce)
Catch is will that online be good?
I'd pray so, if they're expecting this to scale as massive as they do. Since it's a cross-platform release, I doubt they're running off of Nintendo's servers, so that leads me to believe they'll at least shill out for something tolerable.
June 24, 2020 7:34am
Quote (TheConceptionist)
Knowing exactly how long a match will take is actually great

This is actually why Splatoon is my favorite shooter. The matches last 3 minutes in Terf War.

I've played a lot of League and I've had games that end in under 20 minutes and games that ran for over 60. Even League's "fast" game mode of ARAM can be as short as 10 minutes or as long as 45. Giving it a set length of time helps make the game more accessible as you know exactly how long you have to commit to the game.

Quote (TheConceptionist)
so they were expecting something major from a fan perspective.

Small rant here, and feel free to call me out on this. I feel like this is what happened with SwSh.

Pokemon games are good, but they've never had a real 10 out of 10, must play, best game of all time. Gen 1 had popularity, but it wasn't just because of the games; Pokemon had an Anime, Movies, Toys, the TCG. The games where great, but they had their issues (The only Ghosts in game being weak to Psychic, the only Dragon attack was fixed damage) and glitches (See anything involving MissingNo).

People expected SwSh to be like Breath of the Wild or Odyssey and be a 10 out of 10, Game of the Year game. Ended up being...About average for a Pokemon game. Did some things well, did some things poorly. Felt very middle of the road for me; Not in my bottom three or top two. But people expected them to be the very best like no other ever was and where disappointed when it wasn't.

This felt like that happening again. A lot of fans got super hyped over Sinnoh Remakes and Let's Go Johto that anything that wasn't both of these would have caused backlash. I say both because one or the other would've upset a ton of the fan base.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best." - Karen, Johto Elite Four.

Chaos by Coolio
June 24, 2020 5:54pm
Quote (Luce)
Pokemon games are good, but they've never had a real 10 out of 10, must play, best game of all time.
Oh yeah, definitely. People say Pokemon peaked during late gen 4 and late gen 5 (which I totally agree with, games like Platinum, HGSS, and B2W2 were stellar compared to their contemporaries), but that doesn't mean any of it was perfect. All of those "holy grail" games had their flaws and downfalls.

Quote (Luce)
Gen 1 had popularity,
It also had the unique distinction of being first. I think because of this, not only is there normal nostalgia pandering, but there's also this sense of RBY being untouchable because they're some pure distillation of the franchise. Frankly, it isn't; it was a flawed game that happened to strike gold, and got iterated on and fixed over time. I think that's why RBY is made so often, because all of the fans will gobble it up as "the way Pokemon was meant to be" (moreso with versions like FRLG than something like Let's Go). Eventually, future games became such a departure from the first few games that it's sacrilege to all of these old fans, and I feel like The Pokemon Company knows this and intentionally shoots themself in the foot so they can still keep these decades old fans under their thumbs.

Quote (Luce)
People expected SwSh to be like Breath of the Wild or Odyssey and be a 10 out of 10, Game of the Year game. Ended up being...About average for a Pokemon game.
My philosophy with this is that Game Freak has made a habit of making their first game on a console seem like a warm-up. RBY and GS were technically on different systems, but their hardware was so close that I count them anyway. RS to Emerald, DP to Platinum to BW to B2W2, XY to SM to USUM... every single console generation, the first releases are gimped somewhat and touched up later, usually in the form of a third version. Although Let's Go released before SwSh, I'm not sure if the two games used the same engine, beyond the obvious gameplay differences. You can see this philosophy of "lay the groundwork and make it better over time" within the DLC, which is why I don't understand people complaining about this business model. In terms of level design, going from the Wild Area to the Isle of Armor is blatantly night and day, at least to me. The game is getting better as time goes on, and even though it won't be on the same "10/10 masterpiece" tier as Odyssey or BotW, because they're developed by entirely different teams at different companies, it hasn't given all that it has to show yet.

Quote (Luce)
A lot of fans got super hyped over Sinnoh Remakes and Let's Go Johto that anything that wasn't both of these would have caused backlash.
From a business perspective, announcing either of those at this time would be absolutely nuts. They just released a slew of mobile games, have more on the docket, just released part of their major DLC, and have more yet to announce, so picking now as the time to announce another major console release would spread wallets way too thin. I don't know how people expected multiple major announcements in an 11 minute video, but even with a single announcement of the two I don't think they would've been able to cram it into 11 minutes. Again, my thought is that the only reason Unite was separate was because of The Pokemon Company's contract with Tencent.
June 25, 2020 12:24am
Personally, I'm still not over how they led up to the announcement. "Here's a list of things people love about Pokemon. Now here's a game that has none of that." I'm also really hoping the roster is expanded, whether before or after release. I'm not expecting a LoL/DotA sized roster, but 10 is a bit pathetic.

On a more positive note, I actually kinda like MOBAs, so having a Pokemon one is cool. The catching mechanic also seems like a neat spin on the genre. I'm willing to give it a chance, especially since it's coming to the Switch. Also, I'm fine with almost anything if it means the main Pokemon team at Game Freak has more time to make the DLC and upcoming main series games the best they can be.
Terramar's choice was never a choice in the first place.

Page 1 of 1  1