Bug pokemon: convergent evolution, or common ances

I read pokedex entries and got too deep into it

Page 1 of 1  1
June 26, 2020 1:46am
Yo dudes!
I don't usually get into lore discussions like this, but I thought maybe someone here would know more than me or we could come up with theories together!

So, right, the pokedex entries for SWSH say that, specifically Sizzlipedes and Skorupis share a genetic ancestor. Specifically, it says

Quote (Sword Pokedex)
After burrowing into the sand, it waits patiently for prey to come near. This Pokémon and Sizzlipede share common descent.

This raised a lot of questions in my currently insomnia addled mind. A lotta bugs are segmented, like sizzlis and skoops, this would most closely match the isopod-y Armaldo. Tons of bug types have mustaches too, some super similar to one another (Golisopod, Orbeetle and Drapion sharing one style, Centiskortch and Kricketune, etc). Do y'all think that means there's basically two primary bug ancestry groups? Isopods and not isopods?

If anyone knows more or has more ideas I'd love to know.
Bugs are really good friends
June 26, 2020 2:12am
I was gonna say "Isopods are under Kabuto and non-isopods are under Omanyte," but then my ever-expanding brain remembered that... Omanyte isn't a bug...

The only non-segmented bug Pokemon I can think of off the top of my head is Kricketune, but I'm sure there's an older one both lore-wise or generation-wise.
June 26, 2020 2:21am
Right? I was thinking maybe it'd be kabuto and armaldo but they're trilobytes and isopods so they're too similar to be two groups...

I wonder if this is locked behind the mystery of what genesect comes from!
Bugs are really good friends
June 26, 2020 2:22am
Ooh, it could; I never really thought about Genesect being an Actual Bug with some techy stuff slapped onto it, rather than a full cybernetic construct. Imagine if there's a future event where you find an unmodified Genesect :0
  Page 1 of 1  1